May is National Foster Care Month and obviously this cause is close to my heart! I am pausing from my usual updates to encourage each and every one of you to do something this month to make a difference in the life of a foster child! Here are a few ideas:
- Educate yourself about the statistics of children in foster care in your state
- Browse through the waiting children in your state
- Donate clothing or toys to your local group home or residential treatment facility
- Become a Mentor or a Big Brother/Big Sister to a child in care
- Grant a wish to a child in foster care at One Simple Wish
- Donate new or slightly used suitcases, duffel bags, or backpacks
- Become a Court Appointed Special Advocate
- Donate toys, blankets and other items
- Request information from your local state office or agency to find out how to become a foster parent yourself!
According to the latest AFCARS reports, there are about 408,000 children and youth currently in foster care in the United States. These are not “someone else’s children“, these are OUR children and we must all step up and do the best we can! I hope you will join me in finding a way to make a difference this month!